Sunday, April 30, 2006

The Process Can Be Tedious

Busy glazing today. Little pieces of clay. Each measuring about 2" x 1/2" or smaller. I've only glazed 260 pieces with one coat and have about 200 more to go. These small bits of fired clay are the finishing pieces for the edge of the horse mosaic and bird mosaic that I'm currently working on. After these pieces are fired and added, I then have to consider the grout I'll be using. It's weird with mosaics because the background goes in last. Why don't I make this color decision in the beginning? Because, I don't always know exactly which tiles I'll be using especially when it comes to the smaller ones that I suppose one could call middle ground.

And, for those of you, who have never seen one of my mosaics, they're not the broken tile, shattered plate or little squares of color that are commonly seen. Nor are they like a shape puzzle or stained glass window. I make my own tiles in a variety of shapes. Some resemble broken ceramic pieces, some are shaped like birds, fish, flowers, horses, plants and whatever else strikes my fancy. Then I add plenty of other stuff like faux pearls, stones, shells, jewelry, etc.

And that's all I have to say today as I no longer care to write. Tedious as the process of making art may be sometimes, it's all about the tactile.

, , , , , , , ,

No comments:

 
Keyword Directory